Composed of members of the federal, community and regional governments competent for science policy, the Interministerial Conference for Science Policy constitutes the instrument for consultation between the Federal Authority, the Communities and the Regions. It is the place where the co-operation agreements are worked out (including on matters of international importance) and where various procedures for collaboration and exchange of information between the different power levels are implemented.
In this framework, a number of co-operation agreements (published in the Belgian Official Journal) were concluded between the various authorities responsible for Science Policy over the past 5 years.
- the co-operation agreement of 12.07.94 implementing article 6bis, § 2, point 6, of the special law of 8 August 1980 on institutional reforms, introduced by the Law of 8 August 1988 and amended by the Law of 16 July 1993 concluded between the Federal State, the Communities and the Regions (permanent inventory of scientific potential)
- the co-operation agreement of 24.10.97 relating to the Scientific Plan in Support of a Sustainable Development Policy, concluded between the Federal State and the Regions
- the co-operation agreement of 25.07.97 relating to Administrative and scientific coordination with regard to bio-safety, associating the Federal State and the Regions
- the co-operation agreement of 07.07.98 relating to the Inter-university Centres - Phase IV, concluded between the Federal State and the Communities.
In addition, the IMCSP has been called upon for specific questions relating to certain aspects of co-operation agreements, worked out within other Interministerial Conferences, such as:
- the co-operation agreement of 15.01.93 creating an Bioethics Advisory Committee, concluded between the Federal State and the Communities
- the framework co-operation agreement of 30.06.94 on the representation of the Kingdom of Belgium in international organisations pursuing activities falling under mixed competencies, concluded between the Federal State, the Communities and the Regions
- the co-operation agreement of 05.04.95 relating to an international environment policy, concluded between the Federal State and the Regions
- the co-operation agreement of 05.04.95 concerning the financing of the Collective Research Centres, concluded between the Federal State and the Regions
- the co-operation agreement of 21.12.95 concerning the structuring of environmental data intended for the European Environmental Agency, concluded between the Federal State and the Regions, notably involving the North Sea Mathematical Model Management Unit and the Royal Meteorological Institute.