Space in Belgium
- The space policy pursued by successive Belgian governments over the last few decades has made it possible to build up a highly efficient scientific and industrial structure, recognised as such in Europe and worldwide.
- The objectives of the Belgian Space Law are to ensure the legal and material safety of operational space activities performed under Belgian jurisdiction and to develop an appropriate legal framework for hosting this sector in Belgium.
- One of the most important achievements of Belgium in the space domain concerns the PROBA series of satellites, which are in charge of validating new space technology and demonstrating progressive space instrumentation.
- Thanks to BELSPO's efforts, the Belgian scientific and industrial actors play a significant role within the European space sector and beyond.
Who does what in Belspo?
- The department “Space Research and Applications” is staffed by about 20 collaborators working along two main strands: science policy and research, and industrial policy and technology.
Space activities by theme